CABO SAN LUCAS, Mexico – The Alabama men’s golf team will be back in action when it tees off its third tournament of the spring season, the Cabo Collegiate. The three-day, 54-hole event will be contested Sunday through Tuesday on the par 72, 7,156-yard Twin Dolphin Club
The Crimson Tide enters the tournament ranked No. 17 in the updated Bushnell/Golfweek Coaches Poll, which was announced Friday. Alabama is one of 11 squads in the 15-team field ranked in the poll’s top 50.
- The Tide’s starting five for the event will consist of Canon Claycomb, Thomas Ponder, Nick Dunlap, Jones Free and JP Cave
- Claycomb, who checks in at No. 14 in the latest PGA Tour University Individual Rankings released March 1, is coming off his third top-10 finish of the season when he placed ninth overall at the Watersound Invitational
- Claycomb (70.56) enters the event as one of three UA golfers who are averaging under 71.00 strokes per round, joining Thomas Ponder (70.22) and Nick Dunlap (70.67)
- In terms of total strokes, Ponder has recorded 1,264 on the season which is six fewer than Claycomb (1,270) and eight ahead of Dunlap (1,272)
- Jones Free, who played as an individual at last week’s Watersound Invitational where he tied for 18th with an even par 213, will be in the starting lineup – his second start of the spring season (John Hayt Intercollegiate)
- JP Cave will round out the Tide’s lineup by making his fourth appearance for the Tide this year and second of the spring season
- Now in its 13th season as a tournament, the Cabo Collegiate will move to the Twin Dolphin Club, a course designed by Fred Couples, due to a construction project going on at the normal venue (Cove Club at Cabo De Sol)
- In addition to the 17th-ranked Tide, other teams include: No. 1 Vanderbilt, No. 2 Texas Tech, No. 3 Arizona State, No. 4 Stanford, No. 9 Florida State, No. 14 Tennessee, No. 17 Alabama, No. 18 Oklahoma State, No. 19 Arizona, No. 23 Baylor No. 44 Ole Miss, No. 48 Arkansas, No. 50 Houston, No. 115 Rice, No. 185 Abilene Christian
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…