CABO SAN LUCAS, Mexico – The No. 17 Alabama men’s golf team fell two spots into 12th overall after 36 holes of play at the Cabo Collegiate Invitational Monday. The Crimson Tide will enter the tournament’s third and final round with a team total of 596 (298-298).
Nick Dunlap led Alabama during Monday’s round collecting six birdies on the day to result in his team-leading 10th round in the 60s this season. Dunlap’s two-day total of 3-over par 145 (76-69) has him in a tie for 25th overall.
The Crimson Tide is one of the 13 teams in the 15-team field ranked inside the nation’s top 50 according to Golfstat.com, including five teams among the top 10.
The final round will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. CT Tuesday morning on the par 72, 7,156-yard Twin Dolphin Club.
Round Two Highlights
- Nick Dunlap began the day on Hole No. 13 and went on to record birdies on six of his first 14 holes, however, a triple bogey on No. 1 and a bogey on No. 12 – his final hole of the day – resulted in the 2-under par total
- Canon Claycomb, who entered the day having collected seven consecutive rounds of par or better to being the spring season, settled for a season-high round of 78 and is in a tie for 49th overall at 7-over 149 (71-78)
- JP Cave, whose second-round score of even par 71 was the second-lowest round by any Tide golfer, is tied with Claycomb for 49th with a 36-hole score of 149 (78-71)
- Jones Free (75-80/155) and Thomas Ponder (76-80/156) round out the Crimson Tide lineup in 64th and 65th, respectively
- Cave’s par three scoring average (2.75, -2) is tied for the lead among all golfers, while Dunlap is just behind (2.88, -1)
- Top-ranked Vanderbilt (-15) carded an 11-under par team total in the second round to take a commanding lead over No. 44 Ole Miss (-2) heading into the round of play
- No. 2 Texas Tech (-1) and No. 3 Arizona State (E) join the Commodores and Rebels as the only teams in the field at-or-under par, with No. 48 Arkansas (+10) rounding out the top-five teams
- Now in its 13th season as a tournament, the Cabo Collegiate is being played at the Twin Dolphin Club, a course designed by Fred Couples, this year due to a construction…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…