NORMAN, Okla. – Four Alabama golfers carded below par rounds to lead the Crimson Tide to a second-round score of 8-under par 280 Tuesday at the 2023 Norman Men’s Golf Regional. As a result, Alabama vaulted into first place overall with a 36-hole team score of 15-under par 561 (281-280).
The 17th-ranked Crimson Tide lead No. 9 Oklahoma (-13) by two strokes entering Wednesday’s final round of play. The Regional’s top seed and No. 5-ranked Texas Tech (-11) is tied with Colorado (-11) for third place.
Canon Claycomb led the charge during Tuesday’s second round, finishing with a 3-under 69, while JP Cave (-2), Jonathan Griz (-2) and Nick Dunlap (-1) all carded below-par rounds. Meanwhile, Thomas Ponder collected a score of even par put all five UA golfers at par or better on the day.
The Norman Regional, which is being played on the par 72, 7,452-yard Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club, is one of six regional sites currently taking place around the country. The top five teams and low individual not on an advancing team from each site will advance to the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championships hosted by Arizona State University in Scottsdale, Ariz. at the Grayhawk Golf Club, from May 26-31.
Day Two Highlights
- All starting five UA golfers are at par or better through 36 holes of action at the Norman Regional
- Nick Dunlap continues to lead the way for the Tide in third overall entering Wednesday’s final round of play
- Dunlap followed his opening round score of 6-under 66 with a 1-under 71 and is in third overall with a two-day total of 7-under par 137
- He now has nine birdies across his two rounds which leads the team and ranked in a tie for eighth in the field
- Claycomb joins Dunlap in the top 10 as he is tied for seventh overall with a 4-under par 140 (71-69)
- Claycomb enters third round action third in the first in par 4 scoring (-4, 3.80)
- JP Cave and Jonathan Griz each carded rounds of 2-under par 70 on the day
- Cave is in a tie for 17th overall at 2-under par 142 (72-70), while Griz is in a tie for 32nd at even par 144 (74-70)
- Thomas Ponder is tied with Griz in 32nd position after shooting back-to-back rounds of even par 72
- Alabama owns a…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…