OLYMPIA FIELDS, Ill. – The No. 13 Alabama men’s golf team carded a 5-over par 285 Friday and is among four teams tied for fifth overall after the opening round of the OFCC/Fighting Illini Invitational,
Hosted by the University of Illinois, the three-day, 54-hole event will continue Saturday and Sunday, at the par 70, 7,310-yard Olympia Fields Country Club – North Course.
Live scoring throughout the event is available on GolfStat.com.
- Nick Dunlap and Thomas Ponder are in a tie for 15th place after day one, with both carding rounds of even par 70
- Canon Claycomb is in a tie for 25th position after carding a round of 1-over par 71
- Claycomb also led the team with five birdies, while Ponder finished with four
- Jones Free (74) is in a tie for 57th while JP Cave (75) is in a tie for 66th to round out the UA starting lineup
- No. 11 Texas holds the clubhouse lead at 4-under par, one shot ahead of No. 4 Georgia Tech (-3)
- Together, the two schools were the only teams in the 15-team field to shoot under par
- No. 1 North Carolina is in third followed by No. 5 Florida State
- Along with the 13th-ranked Crimson Tide, No. 2 Arizona State, No. 9 and tournament host Illinois and No. 19 Arizona are among the four schools tied for fifth entering Saturday’s second round action
- As a team, the Tide’s 16 birdies rank second in the tournament behind Texas’ 18 birdies
- A total of 12 out of the 15-team field are heading into the tournament ranked inside the Preseason Golfweek top-15 national rankings
- Alabama will tee off round two of the three-day event at 8 a.m. CT off Hole No. 1
- The Tide will be paired alongside Arizona and Florida
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaMGolf, on X, Facebook and Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.