UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Penn State women’s golf team is looking to defend their Nittany Lion Invitational Crown this weekend at the Penn State Blue Course.
Penn State has won back-to-back home invitationals since the event returned after a one year hiatus in 2020 due to the Coivd-19 pandemic. The Nittany Lions have won five of the last seven NLI’s that have been held.
Live scoring for the weekend can be found HERE.
ABOUT THE NLI
- The first-ever Nittany Lion Invitational was played in 1974 with this weekend marking the 24th consecutive NLI to be contested during the fall season.
- Overall, the tournament has been held in the fall 33 times while taking place during the spring season on 13 different occasions with the last being in 1999.
- Including the 2022 NLI, Penn State has captured 25 tournament crowns including seven of the last 11 and five of seven with the only two they haven’t won over that stretch being runner-up finishes.
- Penn State has had 15 individual medalists with the last being Mathilde Delavallade in 2021.
- Recent graduate Sarah Willis ’22 holds the tournament record of 11-under (205) from her win in 2018 while Delavallade fell just one stroke shy during her 10-under (206) victory in 2021.
- Penn State’s 2018 final round score of 9-under, 279, is the second lowest 18-hole total in school history.
COUGAR CLASSIC RECAP
- Junior Drew Nienhaushad a spectacular day of golf on Tuesday finishing her last 20 holes at 4-under par. Nienhaus turned in cards of 70 (1-under) and 69 (2-under) on Tuesday finishing the week tied for 28th at 3-under, 210, for the championship moving up 11 spots following an opening round even-par, 71. Nienhaus’ 3-under par score marks the lowest 54-hole score of her Nittany Lion career.
- Junior Michelle Cox (Allentown, Pa.) started the week strong with a 2-under, 69, in the first round en route to an even-par, 213, finish and a tie for 39th in the 96-player field finishing the week with an even-par, 71, on Tuesday afternoon.
- Graduate transfer Carlota Garcia (Salamanca, Spain) and junior Jami Morris (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) each carded their best rounds of the week on Tuesday afternoon with a 2-over, 73, and a 4-over, 75, respectively, to round out the countable team scores.
- This year’s field consists of the host Nittany Lions as well as 9 additional teams from…