OLYMPIA FIELDS, Ill. – The No. 13 Alabama men’s golf team carded a team score of 4-under par 276 during Saturday’s second round of play at the OFCC/Fighting Illini Invitational – a nine-shot improvement from the opening round – and jumped into fourth overall with a 36-hole total of 581 (285-276).
The duo of Nick Dunlap and Canon Claycomb each carded rounds of 2-under 68 to lead the way in round two, while JP Cave carded a 1-under 69. As a result, the Crimson Tide’s 4-under par second round total was the third-lowest round recorded by any team Saturday.
The event, which is being hosted by Illinois, concludes Sunday on the par 70, 7,310-yard Olympia Fields Country Club – North Course. Live scoring throughout the event is available on GolfStat.com.
- Three UA golfers rank inside the top-20 individuals after two rounds of play on the Olympia Fields Country Club course
- Nick Dunlap is in a tie for ninth at 2-under 138 (70-68) with Canon Claycomb one shot behind in 14th position at 1-under 139 (71-68)
- Thomas Ponder is in a tie for 20th with a 36-hole total of 1-over 141 (70-71)
- JP Cave made the biggest move up the leaderboard following his sub-par round Saturday, moving up 23 spots into a tie for 44th overall at 4-over 144 (75-69)
- Jones Free (74) rounds out the UA starting five in 60th overall with a 6-over par 146 (74-72)
- Dunlap and Cave each had five birdies on the day to lead the team
- Claycomb currently leads the team on par 3 (-2, 2.75) and par 5 (-3, 4.25) scoring
- Alabama’s round of 4-under par was one of only three below par scores during second round action, joining No. 1 North Carolina (-11) and No. 2 Arizona State (-5)
- Following its stellar day, the Tar Heels (-10) own six-shot advantage over the rest of the field
- No. 11 Texas (-4) is second followed by No. 4 Georgia Tech (-3) and the Sun Devils (E), with the Crimson Tide (+1) rounding out the top five
- The Tide leads the field on par 3 scoring (-5, 2.88) and is second on par 5 holes (-7, 4.65)
- As a team, the Tide’s 36 birdies lead the 15-team field, four better than Texas’ 32 birdies
- A total of 12 out of the 15-team field are heading into…