LAKE ELMO, Minn. – On Tuesday in the second round of the ANNIKA Intercollegiate, the 14th-ranked Duke women’s golf team went low, carding the third-lowest round of the day to move up the leaderboard at the 6,395-yard, par-72 Royal Golf Club in Lake Elmo, Minn.
Senior Phoebe Brinker led the charge for the Blue Devils for the second straight day with a 4-under-par, 68, to move into tied for third and only one shot off the lead heading into the final round.
How It Happened
• For the second straight day, the Blue Devils opened action on hole No. 10.
• Phoebe Brinker registered five birdies, one bogey and 12 pars in the second round en route to totaling her 12th career round in the 60s.
• She opened with three pars and then rolled in a pair of 5-foot birdies on No. 13 and No. 14 to get to 2-under-par. Brinker made the turn at 2-under, 34, and then played the final nine holes at 2-under, 34, with birdies on No. 3 and No. 9. She hit 13 fairways, 14 greens and rolled a tied for team-best 28 putts on the afternoon.
• Entering the third and final round, Brinker is 6-under-par, 138, and only one shot behind Mimi Rhodes (Wake Forest) and Maylis Lamoure (South Carolina), who are 7-under, 137.
• Graduate student Emma McMyler turned in her second straight 1-under-par, 71, and is tied for 15th, individually, with a 142. In the second round, she registered back-to-back birdies on No. 10 and No. 11 to open her day. She rolled in a 27-footer for birdie on No. 10 and then collected a 6-foot birdie on No. 11. McMyler dropped three shots over the next six holes, but closed strong with a 2-under-par score over her final 10 holes. She converted a great bunker shot with a short birdie putt on No. 18, stuck her 60-degree wedge from 81 yards to a foot on No. 3 and then birdied No. 8. McMyler lipped out for par on No. 9 to close her day with a 71.
• After struggling a little on day one, sophomore Andie Smith posted her eighth career round of even or under par with a 1-under, 71. She parred the first four holes and then suffered a bogey on No. 14. Smith then drained a 16-foot birdie on No. 15, 2-footer on No. 18 and then chipped in from 20 yards with her 54-degree wedge to move to 2-under. She lipped out for par on No. 5 and then had a bogey on No. 6,…