NORMAN, Okla. – The No. 17 Alabama men’s golf team is set to tee off the 2023 NCAA Norman Regional Monday morning. The Crimson Tide is the No. 3 seed in the 12-team event which will take place at the par 72, 7,452-yard Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club.
The Norman Regional is one of three regional sites to feature 14 teams and five individuals, with the remaining three sites having 13 teams and 10 individuals. The top five teams and low individual not on an advancing team from each of the six regional sites will advance to the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championships hosted by Arizona State University in Scottsdale, Ariz. at the Grayhawk Golf Club, from May 26-31.
The Crimson Tide will make its 17th regional appearance under head coach Jay Seawell and its 25th appearance in the event overall when it tees the opening round. Live stats can be found throughout the regional on Golfstat.com.
From Head Coach Jay Seawell
“We are excited for continue our season and earn the No. 3 seed at the Norman Regional. It’s a tough regional when you look at the number of really good golf teams, so it will be a challenge to finish in the top five. But our guys are up for that challenge and excited for the opportunity. We have set our focus on being prepared and getting our game and minds set on the task at hand.”
- The Tide’s starting five will include Canon Claycomb, Nick Dunlap, Thomas Ponder, Jonathan Griz and JP Cave, while Jones Free will serve as the alternate
- Nick Dunlap (70.53, -0.87) and Canon Claycomb (70.77, -0.53) enter the Norman Regional leading the team in average strokes per round and average vs. par
- Thomas Ponder, who has started in every UA event of the year, ranks third on the team in stroke average (71.23), average vs. par (-0.07), rounds in 60s (10) and rounds of par or better (20)
- Jonathan Griz (72.76), JP Cave (72.90) and Jones Free (73.56) are among the additional Crimson Tide golfers who made the trip
Previewing the NCAA Norman Regional
- The 14-team field is headlined by No. 1 seed Texas Tech, who is ranked No. 5 in the nation, while No. 2 seed Oklahoma, No. 3 Alabama, No. 4 Ole Miss and No. 5 Wake Forest round out the region’s top-five seeds
- The remaining teams in the Norman Regional include: No. 6 Duke, No. 7 LSU, No. 8 North Florida, No. 9 Colorado, No. 10 Kansas, No. 11 UNCW, No. 12 Louisiana, No. 13 Princeton and No. 14 Arkansas-Pine…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…