NORMAN, Okla. – Alabama freshman golfer Nick Dunlap finished with a score of 6-under par 66 and is in a tie for first overall after Monday’s opening round of play at the 2023 NCAA Men’s Golf Norman Regional. As a team, the Crimson Tide is off to a strong start in the three-day, 54-hole event, ending the day in third overall with a team total of 7-under 281.
Dunlap was one of four UA golfers who recorded rounds of par of better on day one, with Canon Claycomb (-1), Thomas Ponder (E) and JP Cave (E) all among the top-25 golfers entering Tuesday’s second round.
The Norman Regional, which is being played on the par 72, 7,452-yard Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club, is one of six regional sites currently taking place around the country. The top five teams and low individual not on an advancing team from each site will advance to the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championships hosted by Arizona State University in Scottsdale, Ariz. at the Grayhawk Golf Club, from May 26-31.
Day One Highlights
- Nick Dunlap collected his team-leading 15th round in the 60s, collecting six birdies, an eagle and two bogeys during his round
- Dunlap’s eagle came on the short 322-yard par 4 10th hole
- Both Dunlap and Oklahoma’s Drew Goodman (-6) own a one-shot lead over Texas Tech’s Ludvig Aberg (-5)
- Canon Claycomb earned the Tide’s other under-par round with his 1-under 71 for his team-best 23rd round of par or better on the year
- Claycomb will enter the second round in a tie for 15th
- Both JP Cave and Thomas Ponder are tied for 25th overall
- Jonathan Griz rounded out the Crimson Tide starters at 2-over 74 and is in a tie for 45th
- Top-seed and No. 5 Texas Tech (-10) holds a one-stroke lead over No. 9 Oklahoma (-9)
- No. 32 Duke (-5) is two shots behind No. 17 Alabama (-7), while Colorado (-5) rounds out the top five teams
- The Crimson Tide is making its 17th regional appearance under head coach Jay Seawell and its 25th appearance in the event overall
- Alabama has won the NCAA Regional four times: 2009 Galloway (N.J.) Regional, 2012 Athens (Ga.) Regional, 2013 Baton Rouge (La.) Regional and 2014 Auburn (Ala.) Regional
- The Crimson Tide has advanced to nationals 11 times under…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…