WESTCHESTER, Ill. – The Duke men’s golf team tallied a top-five finish for the second consecutive week, finishing in fourth place with a 13-under, 851, at the Highlands Invitational contested at the Chicago Highlands Club. The Blue Devils were led overall by Jimmy Zheng, who tied for 12th overall at 5-under, 211, and all five golfers in Duke’s lineup finished at even-par or better across the full event.
HOW IT HAPPENED: ROUND THREE
- As a team, Duke shot a 4-over, 292, in the third round.
- On a rain-filled day, the Blue Devils used a quartet of 1-over, 73, rounds as their scorers.
- Jimmy Zheng bookended his front nine with birdies on holes No. 1 and 9, but made the turn at even-par after a double-bogey on No. 7. Two more dropped shots on No. 11 and 12 pushed Zheng to 2-over on his round, but he closed strong with a birdie on the par-5 18th.
- Ian Siebers finished in a tie for 18th overall at 3-under, 213, following his final round on Tuesday. The senior had just one bogey and one birdie on the front nine, before dropping a shot on No. 10, after making the turn, to go to 1-over. Siebers rolled in two birdies on the back nine, but saw both followed by bogeys en route to his final-round 73.
- Kelly Chinn dipped into red numbers quickly on Tuesday, with a birdie on No. 4, but dropped shots on holes No. 6 and 8 to make the turn at 1-over. The junior played level golf, with seven straight pars on the back nine, before closing his round with a birdie and bogey on No. 17 and 18, respectively. Chinn finished the event in a tie for 24th at 1-under, 215.
- Bryan Kim continued his steady play in his third round, carding 15 more pars alongside a single birdie and two bogeys. The freshman ended the week in a tie for 27th at even-par, 216, marking the newcomer’s first career finish at even-par or better in just his second event.
- Also for Duke, Luke Sample carded a 3-over, 75, in the final round and ended in a tie for 24th place at 1-under, 215, overall.
- Competing individually, Ethan Evans signed for an 8-over, 80, on Tuesday and was 14-over, 230, overall to finish in a tie for 73rd place.
- The second straight top-five finish by the…