Golf News

Golf club committee poison historic club’s greens

Golf club committee poison historic club's greens

Members at New Zealand’s second oldest golf club accidentally poisoned seven of their greens after their head greenkeeper resigned.

Hagley Golf Club, which is located in Christchurch, is now without seven of its greens after they were sprayed with a fungicide from a tank that hadn’t been cleaned properly and may have contained herbicide.

• Random golfer gets Masters invite

• 5 things you missed over the holidays

As first reported by Stuff, senior members at the club were attempting to kill a fungus that had developed in the greens, but instead killed the grass altogether, destroying the putting surfaces. That was in a period of four months after the head greenkeeper, Daniel Tiffen, left his role.

The members sprayed the greens with a coating of the chemical. Two weeks later, the results weren’t as they hoped, so they sprayed the greens again, this time with a dose twice as strong. This resulted in the greens turning yellow, before eventually dying off completely.

The club’s vice president, Alan Timu, who was overseeing the makeshift greenkeeping team, said the problem wasn’t the fault of anyone, but was instead “a bit of bad luck.”

“It was the culmination of both, really,” he said. “A bit of bad luck having an…


Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Bunkered – Latest Headlines…