PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. – The Alabama women’s golf team concluded play at the NCAA Palm Beach Gardens Regional Wednesday, finishing in ninth overall with a team score of 898 (299-303-296). As a result of finishing outside the top five and not advancing to the 2023 NCAA Women’s Golf National Championships, the Crimson Tide’s 2022-23 season comes to an end.
Benedetta Moresco and Sarah Edwards led the team throughout the three-day, 54-hole regional as both finished inside the top 20. Moresco paced Alabama with a tournament total of 4-over par 220 (73-74-73) to finish in 18th position, while Edwards was a stroke back and tied for 19th overall at 5-over par 221 (74-75-72).
From Head Coach Mic Potter
“This is an incredibly disappointing result. We had gotten ourselves in a good position after a solid opening round and I had hoped that we could continue to move forward in a positive direction. But we had a bad day (Tuesday) that really put us in a position where we had to basically shoot a tournament record just to make it through. This week continued what has been a disturbing pattern across our last three or four tournaments in that we have a pretty good start but can’t finish and that just isn’t good enough.
“I am looking forward to next year. We lose Emilie and Benedetta and bring in two signees in Kaitlyn Schroeder, who enrolled in January and has been practicing with us, and Harriet Lockley. The fact is there has to be a lot of improvement by everyone returning in order to be a contender in the SEC and for a national championship. We must come up with a plan over the next few days to get everyone on board so that we get better and understand the standard we all expect.”
- Benedetta Moresco earned her third top-20 finish of the season and the 13th of her career
- It also marked the team-leading fifth time this season that Moresco has been the Tide’s top scorer in the team’s 11 events on the year
- Edwards collected her sixth top-20 result and 13th round of par or better this season with her final round of 72 Wednesday
- Her round was the was the best 18-hole score by any Crimson Tide golfer on the week
- Moresco led Alabama in par 3 scoring (+1, 3.08) and par 5 scoring (-3, 4.75) while Edwards was the team’s top…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…