ERIN, Wis. – The No. 17 Texas A&M men’s golf team tees off the 2023-24 campaign Sunday when they play the three-day Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills.
The 54-hole tournament features one round each day at the prestigious par-72, 7,731-yard Erin Hills with teams teeing off at 9 a.m.
Texas A&M’s lineup features four returnees including a pair of 2022-23 PING All-America Honorable Mention performers in Phichaksn Maichon and Daniel Rodrigues. Lettermen Vishnu Sadagopan and Jaime Montojo are joined by Jack Usner, making his collegiate debut.
Junior Michael Heidelbaugh and freshman Jake Maggert join the field as individuals.
Texas A&M is the lone SEC squad in the 12-team field. Three Big Ten teams join the fray, including Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin. The field features NCAA Championship pedigree with 2004 title winner California and 2010 & ’11 back-to-back champs Augusta teeing it off. The others fighting for the title include Chattanooga, Cincinnati, Dayton, host Marquette, Nevada and UC Davis round out the combatants.
The Maroon & White won the Marquette Intercollegiate in both their previous trips – 2017 and 2021. Walker Lee won the individual title in 2021 with a tournament record 14-under 202 (66-67-69). Heidelbaugh owns the tournament low round record with an 8-under 64 carded in the second round in 2021. He closed out the round with a 6-under 30 on the back nine.
Texas A&M is starting the season in the Dairy State for the fourth time in the last seven years, logging a win in each of the three previous trips, including the 2017 and ’22 Badger Invitational and the 2021 Marquette Intercollegiate.
Phichaksn Maichon – Junior – Bangkok, Thailand
- PING/GCAA Division I All-America Honorable Mention in 2023
- PING All-Central Region in 2023
- Won the 2023 Huntsville Toyota Bearkat Invitational with a three-round tally of 11-under 205, including a 67 in the final round
- Carded an average score of 70.29, including -1.03 vs. par, in 34 rounds over 11 tournaments in 2022-23
- Finished t-11th at the NCAA Championships and t-14th at the NCAA Salem Regional
- Capped off string of three consecutive top-three finishes with a third-place showing at the 2023 SEC…