ABU DAHBI – Alabama golfer Nick Dunlap continued to shine on the amateur circuit, this time leading Team USA to victory at the 2023 World Team Amateur Championship on Saturday at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club. Dunlap, a second-year golfer with the Crimson Tide, carded four consecutive rounds in the 60s to lead all USA golfers with a second-place finish at 15-under par 273 (69-67-69-68)
Dunlap, Vanderbilt’s Gordon Sargent (-13) and North Carolina’s David Ford (-13) each closed play among the top-five individuals as the trio helped bring the Eisenhower Trophy back to the U.S. for the first time since 2014.
Nick Dunlap Summer Highlights
- Nick Dunlap continued his strong summer on the amateur circuit as he has either won or finished runner up in the five major amateur events this summer in which he has competed
- Dunlap finished one stroke behind New Zealand’s Kazuma Kobori (-16) for the medalist honor
- In addition to this week’s runner-up finish at the U.S. World Championships, Dunlap became just the second Alabama golfer in program history to win the U.S. Amateur Championship
- Joined Tiger Woods as the second golfer in history to win both the U.S. Junior Amateur and U.S. Amateur titles
- Prior to winning the U.S. Am, he captured consecutive major championships in the 61st Northeast Amateur and the 123rd North & South Amateur
Team USA Highlights
- Team USA’s 72-hole hole score of 36-under 540 was 11 shots better than the second-place teams of Australia and Norway, ending a nine-year drought in the event
- It was USA’s 16th Eisenhower Trophy win in the 33rd year of the event
- The 11-stroke victory was the largest margin since Australia’s 19-stroke triumph in 2016
- Dunlap and the Crimson Tide will head to Loxley, Ala. to compete at the Steelwood Collegiate hosted by the University of South Alabama
- The event, which will mark the final fall tournament of the season, will take place Oct. 28-29
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaMGolf, on X, Facebook and Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on X and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.