When LIV Golf’s application for Official World Golf Ranking points was rejected, the reason given was due to its closed-door shop. Come December, the upstart circuit will take its first step to provide a pathway for players.
The inaugural LIV Golf Promotions event – initially reported by Golfweek in February – will be held Dec. 8-10 at Abu Dhabi Golf Club and will see three players punch their ticket for the league in 2024. Four rounds will be played over the three days, with 36 holes on the final day. The purse is $1.5 million and players must pay a “nominal” entry fee (when LIV opened entries for its first event in London in 2022, “Tiger Woods” entered 216 times).
The promotions event is the same week as the PGA Tour/LPGA mixed team event, the Grant Thornton Invitational at Tiburon Golf Club in Naples, Florida. It’s also the same week as the DP World Tour’s Alfred Dunhill Championship at Leopard Creek Country Club in South Africa.
Here’s how the event will work:
Players can qualify a handful of ways for the first round, and some will hold exemptions until the second round. At the conclusion of the first day, the top 20 and ties will advance to Saturday’s second round, where scores will reset, and the advancing field will be joined by those who have round-two exemptions. Once again, the top 20 players and ties from round two will advance to the final day, where scores reset once more before the 36-hole finale.
Here’s how players can enter:
Round 1 qualifiers
- Members of the 2023 Walker and Palmer Cup Teams
- Winner and runner-up of the following most recent amateur events: U.S. Amateur Championship, Amateur Championship, Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship, Latin America Amateur Championship, European Amateur Championship, NCAA Championship (Individual), Eisenhower Trophy (Individual)
- Leading 15 available players from within the top 40 WAGR rankings as of November 20, 2023 (excluding players exempt into round 2)
- Leading 25 available players from within the top 40 on the final International Series 2023 Rankings, (excluding those exempt into round two)
- Leading 3 available players from inside the top 5 from each of the following professional Tours as of November 20, 2023: Japan Golf Tour (Money Ranking), KPGA Korean Tour (Genesis Point…