DORAL, Fla. — Two matches went to extra holes in the quarterfinals of the 2023 LIV Golf Team Championship, setting a high bar for Saturday’s semifinal round.
The four teams which had a bye – Dustin Johnson’s 4Aces GC, Bryson DeChambeau’s Crushers GC, Joaquin Niemann’s Torque GC and Bubba Watson’s RangeGoats GC – will all be in action for the first time this week come Saturday’s 1:15 p.m. ET shotgun start at Trump National Doral.
Those four captains were able to pick their opponents, which set up a couple solid matches for Saturday’s action. Johnson will take on Phil Mickelson as the 4Aces GC will play HyFlyers GC in the marquee match of the round. Watson vs. Sergio Garcia might draw some eyes as well as the RangeGoats GC battle Fireballs GC. DeChambeau’s Crushers will play Martin Kaymer’s Cleeks GC, leaving Niemann’s Torque GC to play Louis Oosthuizen’s Stinger GC.
Here are the second-round matches for Saturday’s semifinal round.
4Aces GC vs. HyFlyers GC
- Singles: Dustin Johnson vs. Phil Mickelson
- Singles: Patrick Reed vs. Cameron Tringale
- Foursomes: Pat Perez/Peter Uihlein vs. James Piot/Brendan Steele
RangeGoats GC vs. Fireballs GC
- Singles: Bubba Watson vs. Sergio Garcia
- Singles: Talor Gooch vs. Eugenio Chacarra
- Foursomes: Harold Varner III/Thomas Pieters vs. Carlos Ortiz/Abraham Ancer
Crushers GC vs. Cleeks GC
- Singles: Bryson DeChambeau vs. Martin Kaymer
- Singles: Paul Casey vs. Richard Bland
- Foursomes: Anirban Lahiri/Charles Howell III vs. Graeme McDowell/Bernd Wiesberger
Torque GC vs. Stinger GC
- Singles: Joaquin Niemann vs. Louis Oosthuizen
- Singles: Sebastian Munoz vs. Branden Grace
- Foursomes: Mito Pereira/David Puig vs. Charl Schwartzel/Dean Burmester
The best performances from Friday came from Smash GC’s Brooks Koepka, who beat Mickelson, 6 and 4, and Eugenio Chacarra of the Fireballs, who rolled Majesticks GC’s Sam Horsfield, 6 and 5. The only first-round sweep was Stinger GC’s 3-0 shellacking of Kevin Na’s Iron Heads GC, where none of the three matches reached 18 holes.
Big money awaits
A whopping $50 million is on the line this week, with $14 million going to the winning team. The format features a mix of both match and stroke play. Friday’s quarterfinal and Saturday’s semifinal matches include three matches in…